The 2018 International Reflective Insulation Manufacturers (I-RIM) Conference was held at the Marriott Los Suenos Golf Resort and Spa in Puntarenas, Costa Rica, hosting guests from around the globe. Countries represented include the U.S.; Canada; United Kingdom; France; Australia; Malaysia; Costa Rica; Argentina and Chile. RIMA-I President Doug Kinninger, International Conference Chairman Sergio Luconi and RIMA-I Executive Director Mary Edmondson hosted the event presented in both English and Spanish.
The two-day conference was a success with presentations from all the countries listed. Wednesday featured guest speaker Dr. William (Bill) Miller from Oak Ridge National Laboratory who presented a Demonstration of Near Zero Energy Homes, and Thursday the featured speaker, Dr. Jan Kosny from Faunhofer Institute, gave a Numerical and Experimental Analysis of Thermal Performance of Residential Attics Containing Aerogel-based Radiant Barrier Systems.
- Innovations in the Manufacture of Reflective Films, Veronica Ataya
- Building Performance Software – Impact of Attic Radiant Barriers, Bill Lippy
- ASHRAE 90.1 Update, Monty Millspaugh
- RIMA-I Product Verification Evolution, Doug Kinninger
- Fundamentals and Techniques of Measuring Water Vapor Transmission, Michael Joyce
- The Power of the Marketplace, Steve Baden and Laurel Elam, RESNET
- Reflectives and the International Code Council (ICC), Wes Hall
- Next Generation Reflective Insulation Facing Films, Ralph Dale
- Radiant Energy Management & the Versatility of IRCCs, Lynn Walters
- Regional Updates: Latin America, Sergio Luconi; Europe, Guy Delcroix; North America and Australia, Mike Boulding and SE Asia, Kah Wei Yam
- Latin America Building with Reflective Insulation Performance and Improvements After RIS, Pablo Sobrado
- About RIMA-I and the Advanced Building Code Coalition (ABCC), Bobby Byrd
- New Digital Experiences, Mario Vargas
- Does the Presence of a Radiant Barrier Increase the Chance of a Lightning Strike?, Brian St. Germain
- Regulations in Latin America for Reflective Insulation, Pablo Sobrado
- SAP Business One, Juan Bautista
If you were unable to attend this year, presentations will be available for purchase (in PDF format). Contact RIMA-I at [email protected] for details or to place your order. RIMA-I also thanks the following sponsors for their participation: Celplast Metallized Products; JX Nippon ANCI Inc.; ECHOTape; Thermal-Economics and the Advanced Building Code Coalition.
Networking and relationship building was also a large part of the conference, so both cocktail receptions and the lunch on Thursday were great social/networking events. The next international conference will be held in 2020 (dates/location to be determined).