Antimicrobial Disinfectant Is Part of School’s Reopening Plan

The Dunklin R-5 School district in Herculaneum, Mo., is among hundreds of thousands of school districts across the country working diligently to provide a safe environment for students, teachers and staff to return to this fall. The district serves about 1,500 K-12 students and is welcoming back about 70 percent of its population for in-person classes. The remaining 30 percent opted for virtual learning.

D7 antimicrobial disinfectant is applied to playground equipment at the Dunklin R-5 Taylor Early Childhood Center.
D7 antimicrobial disinfectant is applied to playground equipment at the Dunklin R-5 Taylor Early Childhood Center.

Part of its established disinfection routine included applying D7 antimicrobial disinfectant to high contact touchpoints on the exterior of Herculaneum High School and the nearby Taylor Early Childhood Center and its playground. The first application was a trial run of sorts since Dunklin R-5 Superintendent Clint Freeman, Ph.D., like many school administrators across the country, is new to this level of disinfection. “We wanted to learn about the D7 product and see how it worked before setting up a full-scale application,” Freeman explains. 

D7 is an EPA-registered disinfectant that kills 99.99999 percent of bacteria, fungi, germs and viruses in minutes and has shown effectiveness against viruses similar to the coronavirus/COVID-19. It can be used on exterior surfaces and applied as a fog or spray inside buildings as well. D7 capitalizes on the natural cleaning power of hydrogen peroxide to penetrate and eliminate pathogenic bacteria, sanitizing down to the molecular level. D7 contains zero VOCs, is biodegradable and can be applied using standard spray equipment.

D7 disinfectant is sprayed on high contact touchpoints on the exterior of Herculaneum High School and the nearby Taylor Early Childhood Center.
D7 disinfectant is sprayed on high contact touchpoints on the exterior of Herculaneum High School and the nearby Taylor Early Childhood Center.

“Although D7 differs from Garland’s traditional roofing and waterproofing products, we quickly recognized the need to provide our customers with a safe and effective disinfectant that allows schools and businesses to begin safely reopening their doors,” says Brett Wygal, Garland’s operations manager. “D7 is not only highly effective at killing harmful bacteria, but there’s no special equipment or training required so application can take place almost immediately.”

Leak Stoppers Roofing LLC of Festus, Mo., sprayed the initial application of D7. Freeman had this to say, “It didn’t leave behind a film or grime. It went on very quickly and foamed up so you can see where you’ve applied it. It was a very good process.” Freeman is exploring additional applications of D7 throughout the district with the help of his local Garland representative, Jeremy Cozart. Garland now offers a D7 antimicrobial disinfectant subscription plan that provides monthly deliveries of D7 materials, a hassle-free way to ensure customers are never without critical disinfection products and to allow for the frequent use of D7 without the need to constantly re-order.

Be the first to comment on "Antimicrobial Disinfectant Is Part of School’s Reopening Plan"

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: