Architectural lighting uses illumination to define space, highlight materials and orchestrate how individuals experience the environment. Unless used as a decorative element, it’s critical the luminaires used to achieve these solutions don’t inadvertently become the focus and detract from the intent of the design.
This was the guiding principle for the engineers at Prescolite, when they set out to create the LITEISTRY Architectural Downlighting product family. The brand, which was founded in 1944, announced that it has launched a family of downlights that allow lighting designers, architects, interior designers and engineers to specify with confidence knowing that a quiet ceiling is possible.
The LITEISTRY Architectural Downlighting product family offers a broad palette of luminaires that provide consistency in appearance and performance – thus complementing the solution, not becoming the focus.
LITEISTRY features an array of options with round and square aperture shapes in 3-, 4- and 6-inch covering downlighting, wall wash, adjustable accent and cylinder solutions. Four different beam distributions, a wide range of lumen outputs and 27 reflector finish/color combinations provide additional freedom to explore possibilities with renewed confidence that the right luminaire option is available to ensure a coordinated visual across the entire project.
Quiet Ceiling Design
Glare and brighter ceilings have become accepted in the design community. How did we get here?
Initial LED sources provided both opportunities and challenges. The potential for energy savings, improved control options and color variation created the demand to utilize LEDs in luminaires, including downlights. The initial lower LED efficacies, along with limited means of optical control, required that the source be placed lower in the aperture to allow greater delivered lumens and performance. The desire for source shielding was displaced with the need for improved optical efficiency.
For the team at Prescolite, the lowered bar was deemed unacceptable. It’s time for designers to expect more.
Advancements in LED source efficacy, thermal management techniques, optical materials and optical design allow for a return to photometric solutions that support architectural lighting products that emphasize the space. LITEISTRY delivers 50 degree shielding of the source and source image creating a truly quiet ceiling solution.
Anodized reflectors are utilized across LITEISTRY, with identical trim construction, to provide consistency appearance and performance – even when round and square apertures are utilized in the same project. All reflectors provide a 50 degree shielding angle and active reflector profile that not only shields the source, but also creates a quiet reflector surface above the shielding angle. The achieved beam patterns are consistent with soft edges whether working with a narrow or extra wide distribution.
A common chip-on-board (COB) LED is used across the LITEISTRY portfolio, providing up to 2000 delivered lumens in the 3-inch downlight and 9,000 delivered lumens for the 6-inch downlight. The use of common LED source ensures 2-Step McAdam Ellipse color consistency and either 80+ or 90+ CRI across all options.
Along with a quiet aperture, the optical design delivers a wide range of beam distributions with high efficacies. These distributions are carried across the downlights and cylinder products to again provide consistency in performance.
The open wall wash products, available across all round aperture sizes, deliver visual uniformity on vertical surfaces while achieving a consistent appearance between the aperture sizes. Single, double and corner solutions are included in the portfolio – including the 3-inch aperture size. As an alternative, lensed wall wash solutions are available for both round and square apertures in all sizes.
The adjustable accent solutions provide up to 35 degree vertical and 362 degree horizontal rotation with translating center beam optics to ensure the beam is always aimed through the center of the aperture. This enhances performance on the wall and eliminates glare at the aperture.
Additional Features and Benefits of LITEISTRY:
- Downlight and Cylinder beam distributions include Narrow, Medium, Wide and Extra Wide
- Wall Wash options include Single, Double, Corner and Lensed
- Adjustable beam distributions include Narrow, Medium, Wide and Extra Wide
- Five finish reflector options – Specular, Semi-Specular, American Matte, SoftSheen and Softglow
- Seven color options – Clear, Champagne Gold, Black, Light Wheat, Pewter, Painted White and Painted Black
- Four flange options – Reflector, Painted White, Painted Black and Flush Mount
- 2700K, 3000K, 3500K, 4000K and 5000K
- 0-10V (1 percent and < 1 percent), DMX (<0.1 percent), DALI (1 percent), Lutron Hi-Lume 2-wire and Hi-Lume EcoSystem (1 percent) dimming options
- Non-IC, IC, Chicago Plenum Rated, Remodel and Retrofit housing options
- UL924 compliant with integral and remote emergency lighting options
- SpectraSync Color Tuning Technology (Dim to Warm and Tunable White) available
- NX Distributed Intelligence wired and wireless controls capability available
- PowerHUBB capability available for Power over Ethernet (PoE) applications