Building Innovation 2018: The National Institute of Building Sciences Sixth Annual Conference & Expo, to be held Jan. 8-11, in Washington, D.C., is a way to earn continuing education units (CEUs) while hearing from a diverse group of speakers.
This is an all-inclusive conference where members of the entire building community come together to connect, collaborate and create solutions that benefit the built environment. The goal for Building Innovation 2018 is to explore strategies to Sustain. Strengthen. Secure. The conference is delivering educational content designed to engage the entire building community, cover a variety of concepts and present diverse perspectives during each session to stimulate ideas, present new approaches and develop workable solutions for the entire building industry. Building Innovation 2018 sessions have received approval for a total of 31 Learning Units (LUs) from the American Institute of Architects, many of which are Health, Safety, Welfare (HSW) hours, as well as 31 contact hours from the International Code Council for a total of 3.1 CEUs. AIA and ICC members must provide their member numbers upon registration.
Building Innovation 2018 Sessions
- Are We Resilient and Sustainable? Evaluation Tools to Make the Case (1.5 AIA LUs-HSW/.15 ICC CEUs)
- Managing Data Across the Facility Life Cycle (1.5 AIA LUs/.15 ICC CEUs)
- Confronting the Multiple Dimensions of Resilient and Sustainable Building Design (1.5 AIA LUs-HSW/.15 ICC CEUs)
- Challenges and Opportunities in Regulating Existing Buildings (1.5 AIA LUs-HSW/.15 ICC CEUs)
- Meeting High-Performance Goals through Timber Construction (1.5 AIA LUs-HSW/.15 ICC CEUs)
- Incremental and Holistic Opportunities to Improve Building Performance (1.5 AIA LUs-HSW/.15 ICC CEUs)
- Advanced Technology and the Future of Buildings, Cities & Infrastructure (2.0 AIA LUs, .2 ICC CEUs)
- Putting Your Best Façade Forward (2.0 AIA LUs-HSW/.2 ICC CEUs)
- Using Technology to Move the Industry Forward (1.5 AIA LUs/.15 ICC CEUs)
- The Important Roles of Air Barriers and Commissioning (1.5 AIA LUs-HSW/.15 ICC CEUs)
- Focusing on Facility Management From the Start (1.5 AIA LUs/.15 ICC CEUs)
- Zero-Energy Geophysicists: Revolutionary Renovation of AGU Headquarters (1.5 AIA LUs-HSW/.15 ICC CEUs)
- Technology as a Tool: Facilitating Coordination Across a Building’s Life Cycle (1.5 AIA LUs/.15 ICC CEUs)
- Liability and Risks in the Pursuit of High-Performance Buildings (1.5 AIA LUs-HSW/.15 ICC CEUs)
- Climate Resilience: Adaptive Design and Risk Management (1.5 AIA LUs-HSW/.15 ICC CEUs)
- 3D-Printing in the Built Environment: Today and Tomorrow (1.5 AIA LUs/.15 ICC CEUs)
- Can the Workforce Deliver? Meeting Today’s Challenges of Climate (1.5 AIA LUs-HSW/.15 ICC CEUs)
- Improving Healthcare Quality, Affordability and Access through Integrated Post-Occupancy Evaluation (1.5 AIA LUs-HSW/.15 ICC CEUs)
- Aligning Sustainability and Health in Renovating the ASLA Headquarters (1.5 AIA LUs-HSW/.15 ICC CEUs)
- Designing for Disasters: Minimizing Explosion and Earthquake Exposure (1.5 AIA LUs-HSW/.15 ICC CEUs)
Day Two: Tuesday, Jan. 9
Day Three: Wednesday, Jan. 10
Day Four: Thursday, Jan. 11
Join on Monday (Day One) to get a view of how the institute works to improve the built environment and find ways to get involved in the process by attending leadership meetings. Other opportunities to hear from industry leaders include the Tuesday Opening Breakfast with keynote speaker Raymond Daddazio; the Tuesday Exhibit Hall Walking Lunch where exhibitors will present industry technologies; the Wednesday Plenary Luncheon with keynote speaker James Timberlake; the Annual Reception and Awards Banquet, when the institute will recognize industry leaders with institute awards and Beyond Green Awards; and the Thursday FEDCon Keynote Breakfast featuring a tribute to the WBDG Whole Building Design Guide 20th Anniversary.
Be sure to attend the council and committee meetings throughout the conference to get a view of the ongoing programs and projects.
Register to attend credit-building educational sessions with a full-conference ticket, a one-day conference ticket or a non-conference event ticket to hear from one of the keynote speakers. Select the conference package that works best for you.