Johns Manville has announced the launch of JM Formaldehyde-free Cavity-SHIELD, a NFPA 13 compliant1, fiberglass batt insulation for use in the concealed spaces of multifamily buildings. Cavity-SHIELD provides an alternative solution to sprinklers in the interstitial space and further increases the breadth of the JM line of insulation products.
Cavity-SHIELD fiberglass batts are a noncombustible insulation product made up of glass fibers bonded with thermosetting resin. The batts are designed for use in concealed spaces between floors, serving as a passive fire solution for limiting potential flame spread between and through floors.
When installed per the NFPA 131, Cavity-SHIELD eliminates the need for sprinkler systems within concealed floor spaces, saving construction time and money and eliminating long-term maintenance and water leaks.
Additional product advantages include:
- Installation ease: Batts are friction-fit into cavities, without the need for special equipment, reducing the time and resources required for installers to complete the job
- Smart engineering: Available in a range of thicknesses, Cavity-SHIELD can be cut with a standard utility knife to fit in any cavity size
- Cost-effective alternative: Cavity-SHIELD is another option for construction professionals looking for passive fire protection and a cost-effective alternative to blow-in or sprinklers in the interstitial space
- Durability: Fiberglass has proven to withstand the life of the project and will not rot, mildew or deteriorate
- Formaldehyde-free: JM Formaldehyde-free insulation products promote higher indoor air quality and environments, while also limiting exposure to harmful volatile organic compounds, which could cause health problems
- Sound control: Cavity-SHIELD offers the same acoustical reduction benefits between floors when compared to other JM insulation products