LG Electronics has been named 2020 ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The Sustained Excellence award recognizes continued leadership in protecting the environment through high-performing, energy efficient products.
“Responsible innovation is the foundation of creating Innovation for a Better Life,” says Thomas Yoon, president and CEO, LG Electronics North America. “With ENERGY STAR, LG is helping consumers make a difference – with products that deliver energy savings to help save money and the planet without sacrificing performance or style.”
Bolstered by its leadership in ENERGY STAR promotions last year, LG helped educate millions of consumers about energy efficiency while increasing sales of ENERGY STAR certified products. The 2020 award recognizes a number of LG accomplishments:
- American consumers purchased 3.7 million LG ENERGY STAR certified products in 2019. All told, LG’s sales of ENERGY STAR certified products exceeded $2 billion.
- Heeding the EPA’s call for increased attention to ENERGY STAR Most Efficient, LG’s unit sales of Most Efficient products increased 27 percent to over 750,000 units.
- More than 80 percent of LG product models across various categories were ENERGY STAR certified in 2019.
- The number of LG ENERGY STAR models increased by 70 percent for mini-split air conditioners, 31 percent for refrigerators, 25 percent for clothes dryers and 12 percent for washing machines.
- LG raised consumer awareness of ENERGY STAR benefits through retail promotions, social media engagement and advertising on its Times Square billboard in New York.
- Commemorating ENERGY STARDay, LG partnered with Lowe’s on efficiency upgrades (with LG refrigerators, washers and dryers) for families in Charlotte, N.C.
Recognized as an ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year in 2012, LG demonstrates “exemplary commitment and dedication to leadership in energy efficiency and the ENERGY STAR program,” according to Ann Bailey, chief of the EPA’s ENERGY STAR Product Labeling Branch.
“LG continues to be a leader in its commitment to ENERGY STAR as seen by its ever-expanding ENERGY STAR product offerings. EPA applauds LG for participating extensively in our campaigns, exposing millions of consumers to the value of ENERGY STAR,” she says.
The ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year – Sustained Excellence Award is the highest ENERGY STAR honor, presented to partners that have already received Partner of the Year recognition for a minimum of two consecutive years and have gone above and beyond the criteria needed to qualify for recognition.
Since its inception in 1992, ENERGY STAR and its partners like LG have helped American families and businesses save nearly 4 trillion kilowatt-hours of electricity and achieve over 3 billion metric tons of greenhouse gas reductions. In 2018 alone, ENERGY STAR and its partners helped Americans avoid nearly $35 billion in energy costs.