Have you been looking to attend a conference exclusively about retrofitting existing commercial (including multifamily), industrial and institutional buildings? Then you’re in the right place! retrofit is hosting its first conference on Oct. 12 at Chicago’s Navy Pier. We have a lineup of fantastic speakers who are experts when it comes to Chicagoland building retrofits, as well as two highly motivational keynotes to get you ready to tackle the job ahead. We’re also offering CEUs from AIA and GBCI.The day kicks off with a keynote from Jason Roberts, chair of the Better Block Foundation. In 2010, Roberts organized a series of “Better Block” projects, converting blighted blocks in southern Dallas into temporary walkable districts with pop-up businesses, bike lanes, café seating and landscaping. Better Block now is an international movement.
His keynote is titled, “Build a Better Block: How to Make Real Change in Your Community, Today”. Roberts will share how we can drive change in our communities and move past unproductive committees, low community engagement and outdated regulation. In his funny, smart, energetic and breathless talk, Roberts encourages us to stop waiting around—even if that means painting in our own crosswalks, bringing in our own trees, building our own cafés and blackmailing ourselves into action.
Our afternoon keynote will be from Ashok Gupta, senior energy economist, programs, at NRDC. Gupta focuses on policies relating to global warming, energy efficiency, renewables, sustainable building design, smart growth and transportation. During former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s administration, Gupta served as NRDC’s representative to the Mayor’s Sustainability Advisory Board and Energy Policy Task Force. He is the recipient of the U.S. Green Building Council’s Leadership Award for Advocacy, Solar One’s Environmental Steward Award, the Association of Energy Engineers’ Environmental Professional of the Year Award, and the Environmental Advocates’ Advocate Award for leadership in support of clean air and energy.
The conference’s three educational sessions will feature a panel of three speakers who will present for 20 minutes each on the following topics:
Session 1: Benchmarking
- Discover overall energy-efficiency trends in Chicago and findings from the Chicago Energy Benchmarking Ordinance data.
- Learn how to use your benchmarking results to take the next steps in energy efficiency.
- Find out how the Institute of Cultural Affairs is striving to achieve net-zero energy for its Chicago Landmark building by using what leaders learned from the benchmarking process.
Session 2: Financing
- Learn about current financing options, as well as new options that may become available through initiatives, like the Illinois Future Energy Jobs Bill of 2016.
- Hear about Elevate Energy’s recently published report, “Segmenting Chicago Multifamily Housing to Improve Energy Efficiency Programs”.
- Understand Community Investment Corporation and Elevate Energy’s Energy Savers program, a one-stop-shop multifamily retrofit program for affordable buildings.
Session 3: Commissioning & Building Envelope
- Find out about ComEd’s retro-commissioning and monitoring-based commissioning programs.
- Understand what an enclosure consultant can bring to your retrofit project via a discussion of common envelope problems.
- Learn how to effectively insulate buildings built without insulation without
negatively impacting the existing structures.
Each educational session will bring the magazine to life by providing a successful case study, further underscoring the session’s focus. Plus, you’ll earn one AIA LU per session!
There will be plenty of opportunities to network and socialize throughout the day in our Tabletops Area. Here you’ll have time to talk to our wonderful sponsors about materials and systems for effective building retrofits.
Finally, we’ll close out the day with a cocktail reception to thank all of you for attending and celebrate a successful conference.
Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter (@RetrofitMag) and Facebook (@RetrofitMagazine) for timely updates. Use #RCon17. We look forward to seeing you in Chicago!