Both the In Operation and As Designed ratings are available in the Building EQ Portal. As Designed rating compares potential energy use based on the building’s physical characteristics rating systems with standardized energy use simulation and can identify whether a building is achieving its design potential when compared to the actual energy performance measured with the In Operation rating.
As Designed rating:
- Uses standardized energy use simulation of the candidate building.
- Is based on the physical characteristics and systems of a building.
- Is independent of occupancy and operating variables.
- Compares potential energy performance between buildings with different operational and occupancy profiles.
- Models only the candidate building for consistency between the two ratings.
- Is applicable to both new and existing buildings.
“We are excited to launch the As Designed rating as a tool for benchmarking energy performance, which can stimulate the adoption of high performance building techniques to achieve full design potential,” says Hugh Crowther, Building EQ committee chair. “The Building EQ program offers a unified system of both asset and operational ratings, helping building owners make decisions on how to improve energy performance, reduce cost and manage their building portfolio.”
Both evaluations, In Operation and As Designed, can be used independently to compare a candidate building to other similar buildings in the same climate zone or together for an assessment of the design potential of a building compared to actual operation.
Building EQ rests on ASHRAE methodologies and standards and the experience of credentialed practitioners. These characteristics assure owners they are receiving consistent results and recommendations.
Other features include an Online Data Entry and submission process, Median EUI calculation aligned with ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager and a submission approval process.