Carlisle Wide Plank Floors, a provider of artisan-crafted wide plank hardwood flooring for residential and commercial spaces, has introduced the Earthen Collection. Handcrafted of hickory, the new collection includes six floors inspired by the intrinsic beauty of nature along with the most popular color trends in interiors.
The hickory timbers used in the collection are sourced from northern climates, focusing on Shagbark and Bitternut versions of the species. This results in a dense grain and richer beige-to-brown tone in the heartwood. Some tones highlight the heart sap variation found in hickory, bringing a more contemporary feel to the floor, while—in other tones—this variation is subdued, creating subtle shifts in color and a more aged and organic appearance.
Available in 8-inch-wide planks selected by Carlisle artisans, the Earthen Collection includes six distinctive, low sheen colors—each named after a different type of soil.
- Alluvium: A stunning representation of the variety of colors found in soil, this shade takes on a personality of its own by leaving behind a myriad of beautiful colors that get more interesting with every glance.
- Argil: Created from a perfect blend of brown and grey, this classic pastel shade gives the hickory wood an aged look without appearing worn. A light tint of color evens the contrasts in the grains of the wood.
- Chalk: When glazed over the natural color variations found in hickory, this warm shade gently softens the prominent appearance of the grains. The hue mimics a white veil, creating an illusion of mystery through a blend of unique tones that catch the eye.
- Humus: A striking shade inspired by the beauty of Walnut, the reddish-brown hue washes over the hickory wood, creating a rich, dark floor. While most of the grains of the wood are absorbed by a deep palette of color, some areas of variation peek through.
- Kaolin: A tone reminiscent of the earth, this shade’s alluring mix of warm, rich tones of grey and brown sweep over a floor in a subtle but mesmerizing way to reveal understated depth and dimension.
- Regur: Often found in valleys, this hue mimics the nutrient-dense element born from fire that represents rebirth and new beginnings. The deep, dramatic hints of black, grey and brown are reminiscent of flowing lava cutting through a vast landscape.
Carlisle highlights the hickory character in the Earthen Collection by pairing its Original Grade, which includes some boards with knots, ingrown bark and mineral streaking, with boards from its Heirloom Grade, which imparts a cleaner appearance. This harmonious blend of natural elements is known as the company’s Signature Grade.
The Earthen Collection is offered in ¾-inch plank thickness and in 2- to 12-foot lengths, with a choice of engineered or solid construction. Planks are end-matched for ease of installation. The floors can be customized to meet design specifications by altering the grade, choosing alternate face widths and/or adding a texture.