The Metal Construction Association (MCA) has published three technical resources on its website. The three white papers, two new and one updated, each cover design and safety aspects of metal construction; metal roofing, metal walls, and metal fasteners. The three resources available for download are:
- Best Practices: Metal Building Sealant Types and Application Guidelines
- This paper provides information about the common sealant types used in metal roofing and the best practice guidelines for each. The benefits and limitations of each sealant is discussed, so building professionals can make informed decisions and recommendations regarding the correct product for a specific application.
- Is My Exterior Wall Material Truly Noncombustible?
- This paper clarifies safety standards in the International Building Code (IBC) regarding metal walls and ASTM E136, the test for material combustibility. The paper discusses topics such as what products or materials will burn, what criteria causes a product or its assembly to be deemed non-combustible, and cladding flame spread performance.
- Fastener Compatibility with Profiled Metal Roof and Wall Panels
- This updated paper discusses the differences between primary and secondary fasteners and the importance of fasteners in securing the components to a structure. Also included is a Recommended Fastener Guide to clarify the selection of fasteners used with metal roofing and wall panels. Fastener durability, compatibility, and load resistance is also explored.
These white papers are available for download on the MCA website in the resources section.