The commercial buildings market is currently the largest source of revenue for stationary energy-storage companies, primarily thanks to a robust uninterruptible power supply industry, which requires an energy-storage component. That segment alone is estimated to generate $3.7 billion in global sales in 2013. In addition, there is a relatively healthy market for thermal energy systems, which use thermal mass (either ice or ceramic bricks) to store energy for later use in climate control in a building. That market is estimated by Pike Research to be worth $89.6 million in 2013. Finally, an emerging segment of electrical energy-storage systems is beginning to be established in some parts of the world.
The future growth of energy-storage systems for commercial buildings is heavily dependent on the local regulatory environment, from the perspective of the electric utility’s rate structure and government incentives for energy-storage systems. In regions where energy storage is incentivized through utility rebates, time-of-use rates with high differentials, or government mandates, growth is expected to be much higher. Pike Research forecasts the market for commercial building energy systems to grow from $3.9 billion in revenue in 2013 to more than $7.5 billion in 2022.
Pike Research has released a report that analyzes the global market opportunity for commercial building energy storage across all three key segments: uninterruptible power supply energy-storage systems, electrical energy-storage systems, and thermal energy-storage systems. The report provides a comprehensive assessment of the demand drivers, business models, policy factors and technology issues associated with the dynamic commercial building energy-storage space. Key industry players are profiled in depth and worldwide revenue and capacity forecasts, segmented by application and region, extend through 2022.
Key Questions Addressed:
- How will the segments within the commercial building energy-storage market grow during the next 10 years?
- What are the primary drivers and obstacles that will influence the growth in commercial building energy-storage systems?
- Who are the main players in the commercial building energy-storage market, and how well-positioned are they to compete?
- How will declining cost curves in battery technology affect the emerging space of electrical energy-storage systems?
- What impact will a changing regulatory environment have on the market for commercial building energy-storage systems?
Download the report from Pike Research.